My 09 Ekka recap

Funderstruck

My 09 Ekka recap

Post by Funderstruck »

Hi Guys this is my first topic post here.

Why on earth Chant's spent over a million dollars on a up to date matterhorn. That is like buying a new octopus, they are classics but have had their day on Capitals. Yes it was alot smoother to ride but I'm sure they all are when their new. Alot of people I spoke to at the show had the opinion its just a Matterhorn and to be honest they are right.

I was quiet annoyed to see a few rides at the Ekka this year that have really over staying their welcome on the ground. These should be moved on for better or more sort after rides: Cliffhanger, Gravatron, Claw (was broken down a few times during the show), and that ugly rocket simulator kids ride Voyeger or whatever it is called, they are getting on and look like crap on a Capital. Power Surge, well its just a crap ride with a boring action. I'd also like to see the SlingShot and Insanity off the Ground at Brisbane. If we want to SlingShot we can go to the Gold Coast and Insanity is just to ugly cosmetically to be on a Capital. Also both rides are expensive to ride and giving the show a worse name for not being value for money.

There was no need to have the Hangover and a Kamakazie there but when your paying frontage these are good rides because they are long and narrow. I guess it was better than more sideshow games.

Space Roller did pretty poorly this year after 2 great years. I only ever seen 2 arms full except show day. Disappointing because I think it is a great ride but it does seem that most these rides have a 2year popularity lifespan. March's Skywalker I dont think did real well either.

The Flume was set up facing the wrong way as you couldnt get a good veiw from the ground. It should have been facing up the hill not down. I would have put it where the Crazy Coaster was, it would have looked awesome from the street level.

Speed's lights have been replaced with led's which has changed the look of the colours on the light caps and now looks differnt to their new ride XXXL's lights.

Cetek's new Magic Circus (Funhouse) looks amazing and puts Circus Circus to shame. Magic Circus should have been given Circus Circus's ground in the main area instead of being stuck down St Pauls terrace side. Good to see Emile has put the money he made from selling the Ali Baba to good use althought I do miss it at the Ekka.

On the sideshow games point of veiw how many Race Games, Laughing Clowns, Basketball games do we need. A couple of each but not the saturation we had. Could have made room for some more rides as I know there are a few good rides that would like to be have ground there like Trindalls Cyber Party.

Also it was ashame to see a family favorite in the Sizzler not there. I think that is the first time in my 28yrs of going to the Ekka that there has been no Sizzler/Cha Cha or alike :(

Anyway enough of a rant from me. We will see what next year will bring with all the changes at the RNA Grounds.

RIP Dirkin's Brisbane Chairlift 1971-2009
Top Gunner14

Re: My 09 Ekka recap

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Good review and welcome thunderstruck. Like some of your thoughts about the show. Pirate's Revenge was only setup that way because the loading station was facing the street. If it was setup the other way, you would have to walk right around to the other side to gain entry to the ride. But yeh a shame though with how you couldn't get a good view of it
princess

Post by princess »

Welcome Funderstruck, interesting review, in your opinion what rides would you have on a capital, the games in Brisbane are definitely over the top imo, I have been saying this for quite a few years now too, the crowds were down this year, whose to say whether it was flu, or price, our economic situation may have been an issue. :?: :?:
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

I noticed alot of those games are in 20 and 40 ft containers... Do these stay there, or do the showmen own these and bring them in containers? First time I'd seen them set up like that so not sure.
Also, now that its all done and dusted, does anyone know for sure that money and patrons was down this year? We have all said it didnt look good, but has anyone spoken or heard just how bad it was?? Just interested,,, and sort of hope we are wrong and it wasnt a total loss for our showmen,,, even though we have all agreed so far it didnt look good....
"Slingshot , Engage"
princess

Post by princess »

Ozridebroker, quoted that some families will be under financial stress, because of the Ekka. My information was that it was "f***ed".
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

The modified shipping container joints belong to Durkins (and are very affective IMO) they are transported on truck.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I thought the 40ft Clown game close to the Wheel was Durkings, but I believed many of the other 4 sided 20ft games belonged to the Picketts family?
(Sorry first two pics from 2007, last one this year)

Kiwi
tooheyzz

Post by tooheyzz »

Guess everyone has there own opinion on what rides should or should be at capitals
some would agree with some of your comments Funderstock some would disagree

I think there should be a half and half mix of extreme type and more family type rides and some for the kiddies
Don't forget there are potential rider that sort of fit in between the kiddie rides and the more extreme rides

But that all said I guess the ekka and ride operators have been doing this for year so they wouldn't put a ride in if they didn't think it was going to make som money
It sounds like numbers were down across the board so this year it would be difficult to judge which rides are loosing favour with the customers

I was wondering if the fume ride position was because it was new and that's the only space left available How early to you have to book you space
I would imagine it is quite a task to make all the rides and games etc fit in the space available
Maybe next year it will have a more favourable space
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Nice review. I have to say, I disagree about Power Surge. Presentation is great and I think it gives a fun ride. Agreed about that ugly rocket simulator though.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

I talked to one operator while the ekka was on and he said it was absolutely shocking. And I also heard the only rides that made money were Joyland's flume and the other was Insanity which I thought was very strange