Venture 'Scat' rides

Dazzleland

Venture 'Scat' rides

Post by Dazzleland »

Has anyone seen any Venture Scat rides around Australia?
I remember seeing one called 'Spin Out' at a small roadside carnival at Playford in 2006 and in the Adelaide Entertainment Centre carpark.
Are they run by an obscure company?
Zamperla
Administrator

Re: Venture 'Scat' rides

Post by Zamperla »

I believe most of the Scats we have in Aus were manufactured here under license from Jerry Barber (who is the inventor behind 'Venture Rides' and also created Turbo) The only one I know operating is Smart's Amusements (who mainly do fete hire work)

It's a good ride. I've seen some very old Luna Park Melbourne footage which shows one. I think they must've been made here in the early 1970's. I've always wondered why all the ones we have operating here have had seats added, though it was designed to be a stand-up ride, as operated in USA.

here's a link to Smarts website. http://www.smartamusements.com.au/rides.php

anyone know of any other operating ones?
PNC

Post by PNC »

Tony Smanns had one for sale when i bougt my round up from him, im pretty sure he still has it
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

Also, I do recall seing a racked Scat among some other small rides on a weed patch by the intersection of The Golden Way & The Grove way last year.
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

this may interest you... Luna Park Melbourne in 1975 - have a look at the 1:17 mark. Pretty sure this same Scat (minus decorations and in a bland yellow paintjob) re-appeared at the park from 1995-2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZLepWm6 ... re=related
Jaffa23

Post by Jaffa23 »

LOL LOL LOL!

That well may be me in that 1975 video! I have fond memories of riding the Scat at Luna Park around that time!!!

Fast forward 35 years,,,,

St Pats Primary school in Murrumbeena has the Cyclone (aka Scat) each year from Smarts amusements - it's literally 500 meters from where I live - I'll try and take some shots later this year at the annual fete (assuming the Cyclone returns,,,)

Jaffa23
Jobius

Post by Jobius »

Zamperla wrote:this may interest you... Luna Park Melbourne in 1975 - have a look at the 1:17 mark. Pretty sure this same Scat (minus decorations and in a bland yellow paintjob) re-appeared at the park from 1995-2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZLepWm6 ... re=related
Zamperla, I am pretty sure that the Scat left earlier than 2001 from Luna Park Melbourne. I visited there in October of 2000 (for my one and only visit!!) and it definetly was not there then. The park was preparing for its big relaunch that would happen later next year(The classic Carousel was then being restored).
However that footage is gold!!! I love seeing our Luna Parks in their former glory..brilliant stuff!! Its a pity the footage didnt contain any Big Dipper onride film however..... :(

Cheers,
Jobius
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

Just found a nice pic of A-Vans! There's a Scat Ride on the right of this pic!
Funderstruck

Post by Funderstruck »

PNC wrote:Tony Smanns had one for sale when i bougt my round up from him, im pretty sure he still has it
Yes I think he does still have it. It is called Spin Out Im pretty sure
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Yes Jobius, you're right. The Scat was removed from the park around late 1999, it's probably the one Tony Smans now has.
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

What else did Tony Smanns have?
Tayz

Post by Tayz »

I went to a mates school carnival and i went on a ride like that called spin out. (In vic)
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

I know this image is incredibly blurry, but I wasn't familiarised with my camera when it was taken in December 2004.
This was next to the Hindmarsh Riverbank Display!