Fun police close down carnival

Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Jeff Whalley, Geelong Advertiser, December 27, 2010

SURF Coast Shire officials forced the closure of the popular Lorne foreshore carnival on Christmas Eve.

Officials ordered the carnival to pack up its rides and entertainment on Friday on the eve of a month-long event at Lorne's Mantra Erskine Beach Resort.

The event was scrapped at the 11th hour because Mantra had failed to notify its neighbours despite resort management claiming it wasn't told it had to do so and complaints about a lack of car parking.

Shire Mayor Dean Webster said the carnival was closed after it was found to have contravened a Good Neighbourhood code of conduct.

The resort's management yesterday threatened legal action against the shire after it estimated the cancellation would cost more than $150,000 in lost earnings from the carnival, which was set to run until January 28.

Mantra sought permission from council in September to obtain a permit for the carnival and claims it was told it did not require a permit because the resort held the lease to the private land.

More than 10 people have lost their jobs because of the shutdown and the carnival owners claim they will be left tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket.

Security operator Phillip Dower also said a dozen security officers had been left without work.

Carnival operator Alan Lynch said the action was "the fun police gone mad".

"I have never had it happen before and I have been in the business 40 years. We were invited to come down and then we were closed down."said.

"We drove all the way from Adelaide in two semis and five other vehicles, which cost $10,000 alone. But we will probably lose about $30,000. The Kamikaze ride alone costs $6000 a month."

Mantra general manager Jeff Branch labelled the council incompetent.

"The council was fundamentally wrong and the Great Ocean Road Coastal Committee said it was inappropriate use of the land," he said.

"As a business, we stand to lose a considerable amount and I think council acted incompetently and it's something we will pursue.

"There's been a 16 per cent decrease in visitors to Lorne in the past 10 years and it's disappointing when a business puts in the effort and we're prevented from doing it after poor planning from council."

Mr Branch said Mantra notified the shire's planning department about the carnival in September and was not told about the Good Neighbourhood code of conduct until Friday.

Cr Webster rejected claims of council incompetence. He said Mantra had failed to follow correct procedure.

"With any event, a circus or a carnival, if they go through the right processes, and the proper processes with the land manager (GORCC) and the shire, it wouldn't be an issue," Cr Webster said.

"As far as I know, (land managers GORCC) weren't aware of this (carnival)."

GORCC chief executive Richard Davies was unavailable for comment yesterday.

The Lorne Business and Tourism Association was bitterly disappointed for the thousands of holiday-makers.

"I think this has been a minority of people who have complained (about the carnival). I've spoken to a number of retailers and residents and they were all happy to see it there," a spokesperson said.
HUSSRAINBOW

Re: Fun police close down carnival

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

bastards!!!

bring the KAMIKAZE to rye!