Ali Baba accident in UK

Zamperla
Administrator

Ali Baba accident in UK

Post by Zamperla »

Skegness flat ride accident traps 22, injuring some
30 August 2011

A flat ride accident at Bottons Pleasure Beach in Skegness left 22 people stranded, some of whom were injured.

The incident involved Surf Rider, a magic carpet-style ride, whose carriage is designed to maintain a horizontal position while its connecting arm rotates 360 degrees.

It failed to maintain its horizontal position and hit the ground, trapping those on board in an almost vertical position.

One woman is reported to be seriously hurt, with the BBC reporting that she sustained “life threatening” injuries.

Bruising, neck and back injuries have also been reported among the rest of those on board, but earlier accounts of the ride collapsing in dramatic fashion proved to be exaggerated.

Several witnesses have reported that the ride was being worked on by staff in recent days, including this morning prior to the incident.

Emergency response

Four fire crews attended the scene, conducting an evacuation of the riders in less than 40 minutes using ropes.

Paramedic commander Jason Lawley was quoted in the Skegness Standard newspaper as saying: “It was a heavy jolt from the 3.2 tonne carriage so it will have caused some potential neck and C spine injuries and a number of people have been taken to hospital.

“We had really good assistance from the fair ground maintenance staff and the ambulance crews.”

Under standard procedures, the government body the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) will seize control of the ride, until their safety investigation has been completed.

‘Smashed into the decking’

The Skegness Standard has taken eyewitness accounts from some of those at the scene.

Melvyn Wilson of Nottingham said: “I saw the whole thing come down. You should could hear the ride going clink, clink, clink and then bang!

“You could see the carriage, it just smashed into the decking. It was such a bang and it was like a blooming plane crash.”

David Caddick was quoted as saying: “I was sat at the hotdog stand and I watched it come down.

“It took about four seconds for it to fall and it made a clunking sound before it fell down to the ground and made this huge bang.

“It sounded like the crank shaft had gone on the motor and the teeth were not gripping.

ARM Engineering-built Surf Rider is the third ride inside a week to be involved in serious incidents at British amusement parks.
HUSSRAINBOW

Re: Ali Baba accident in UK

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Well Well Well..... look what we have here!
dell2006

Post by dell2006 »

please dont start!!!! lol.
so the rainbow and ali baba debate goes on! :(
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

lol... copycat design, copycat accident haha
RexDragon

Post by RexDragon »

About time something like that happens to the Ali Baba. :D
Dagz

Post by Dagz »

:shock:
Last edited by Dagz on Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
If your parents never had children chances are you wont either
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

haha i was kinda surprised that it happened to be honest....i always thought the whole double crank shaft design was pretty failsafe...
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

...i always thought the whole double crank shaft design was pretty failsafe...
You'd think so - probably something to do with the gear teeth on the back of the gondola hub I'm guessing. Glad no one was seriously hurt - the tight over-the-head restraints has helped minimise injuries too.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I guess nothing manmade is ever failsafe. Add to that the enormous stress put on various parts of a ride whilst operating and an accident can easily occur if maintenance isn't kept right up to date. Even when it is, accidents can still happen for no apparent reason. Ali Baba/Rainbow rides would need quite a lot of attention to keep in top shape I would reckon.
Dazzleland

Post by Dazzleland »

And that's the reason why you shouldn't be overloading your fair rides! Overloading not only means you are wearing out major parts on your ride, you are also likely to cause a malfunction, which could put the riders lives in jeapordy.