HUSS Enterprise catches fire; 37 suffer burns [video links]

Discussions about Parks and Fairs in any other European Countries
Zamperla
Administrator

HUSS Enterprise catches fire; 37 suffer burns [video links]

Post by Zamperla »

Enterprise catches fire; 37 suffer burns

(Friday, May 18, 2007) - In Rakvere, Estonia, an Enterprise-type amusement ride somehow caught fire, leaving 37 people with burn and smoke inhalation injuries. The victims, six of whom suffered serious injuries, were rushed to local hospitals where they were treated and released within 24 hours.

The carnival is operated by Tivoli Tuur. The carnival manager suggested that arson could be to blame, but no evidence of arson has been found in preliminary investigations.

The ride consists of twenty 2-passenger gondolas which are suspended from the outside of a wheel that is raised to a vertical position while spinning at high speed. The fire broke out while the ride was operating at full speed.

A criminal investigation is also underway.

The ride passed its last inspection in Sweden last month.

Video Links:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=abb_1179665585

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySJYgf8XZw
princess

Post by princess »

That is terrible footage Zamperla, being locked in a cage and not being abel to get out, it appeared to me that the cages went trough the fire at each rotation, is this what everyone else saw, unbelievable that no one died in this.
Vee

Post by Vee »

My thoughts also, Princess

Would be a genuinely terrifying ride
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

Yes it is quite amazing that most were released from hospital within 48hrs, and no fatalities. From the sudden ferocity of the flames it looks like some sort of accelerant had to have fueled it.

Also, if the operator had pushed the emergency stop or the power had cut out due to the fire, it would've cut the power out to the hydraulics which would've brought the ride to a rolling stop (thus the reason it appeared to continue operating while on fire) - if the ride had power, it would've been much quicker to stop it using the reverse hydraulic brakes, as is done at the end of the ride cycle.

It will be interesting to see what the investigation brings.
benclare

Post by benclare »

I sure won't be thinking about this incident next time I ride the Enterprise. I hope no one deliberately started that fire, only a very twisted person would think that was a good idea. I guess it takes all types to make a world. :shock:
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

:shock: I think thats all I need to say...
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Here is a image of what the ride looks like now:

princess

Post by princess »

Amazing, talk about a hot seat.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Yes... Who Wants To Be A Millionaire Anyone?

Thank Goodness I only have a crappy SDC one to ride, not a HUSS one :P
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

If the fire had've happened on an SDC unit, the gondola would not look as good as it did in that burnt out photo (those chrome rails are rust-proof and fireproof by the look of it - at one point they were the only metal objects in Melb Luna Park without rust on them)

The occupants for the most part would've been protected by the floors of the cars.
DareWing

Post by DareWing »

I hope no one deliberately started that fire, only a very twisted person would think that was a good idea
At he moment that's the only conclusion i can make...
princess

Post by princess »

Omg, does not say much for humanity, we live in what we think is a safe environment, but always something happens to jolt us out of our safe cosy lives.