Coney Island to move Downunder?

Information on possible new Theme Parks for Queensland
Hurricane

Coney Island to move Downunder?

Post by Hurricane »

In light of a failure to come to an agreement between the past owners -- and current operators -- and its current owners, the future of Astroland, a classic amusement park on the foreshore of the Coney Island beach in Brooklyn, New York, has been in doubt in recent years. As the ongoing saga continues, the only thing that looks certain is that Astroland as it currently stands looks set to disappear.

In recent weeks however reports have surfaced that 'The Oliver Group', led by Sydney Matthews and Timothy Oliver, have been in discussion with the owners of the many rides that make up Astroland and have also engaged in discussions with Gold Coast Mayor Ron Clarke which the Group's own press releases describe as "successful". Their plans are to relocate the amusement park to give it a new lease of life on the Gold Coast, already home to Australia's five largest theme parks.

The iconic 81-year-old Cyclone roller coaster, which stands at Astroland looks to be safe from removal as it holds status as a New York City landmark, as well as being declared a National Historic Landmark. The bulk of the attractions that make up Astroland are not classic amusement attractions but rather more modern carnival-style rides.

The Group's press releases state that every single piece of Astroland that can me successfully dismantled and relocated and anything that can't be moved will be reconstructed. Despite the Cyclone's security in New York City, The Oliver Group wants to clone the roller coaster from original plans.

Perhaps most bizarre is the Group's intention to even relocate soil from Astroland for the sake of authenticity.

Likening the project to the sale of the London Bridge from England to the US in 1967, marketing manager Timothy Oliver stated: "We are stealing one of America’s true icons – from the city the proclaims itself the number one city in the world – and we are bringing the last vistages [sic] of Coney Island to Australia!"

The Oliver Group's plans were briefly documented in the New York Daily News in November.

Specific information regarding the proposed location or project timeline is not provided, nor are the projected costs of such an undertaking. They suggest there will be as many as 350 full time employees.
Zamperla
Administrator

Re: Coney Island to move Downunder?

Post by Zamperla »

this is truly unbelievable. I hope this one gets off the ground (odds look heavily stacked against it) - but the lady who ran the lease on Astroland had a penchant for investing in some quality rides - the ones in discussion above (portable) would be:

HUSS Enterprise
HUSS Breakdance
HUSS Pirate
HUSS Topspin(!)
Zipper? (I think this has already been sold off)
Spider

- all those quality German rides - anyone else excited to read this?
Matt Diabolism

Post by Matt Diabolism »

Zamperla wrote: HUSS Enterprise
HUSS Breakdance
HUSS Pirate
HUSS Topspin(!)
Zipper? (I think this has already been sold off)
Spider

- all those quality German rides - anyone else excited to read this?
YES!!!.I'm yet to do the QLD amusement park run.If this were to go ahead it would be first on my list.
Last edited by Matt Diabolism on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

woopee. another park for the goldcoast. :roll:
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

It will be great to have a different park on the gold coast bring all the huss rides on!

CHEERS,
Space Roller Freak
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

I agree it just sucks its going to the Gold Coast. They already have 5 parks.

Bring a park to Sydney.. More people live here anyway.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

But Paulie... Sydney is a hole :wink:
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

excuseeeee you?
Josh in Rocky

Post by Josh in Rocky »

hehehehehe... you go hurricane!! :)
"Slingshot , Engage"
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

I hope it doesnt happen. :evil:

Then, i hope all you themeparks shut.

Then some crappy themepark opens up with ex carnival rides and charge $40 to get in.

Then your litttle gold coast wont be so precious, will it. And it will be just as bad as sydney.

The themeparks are only things that keeps the GC from being a 'hole'.
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

I honestly don't go much on Sydney at all, Melbourne is better and much more easier to get round (as long as it isn't peak hour). They need to get their act togeather and get some other parks operating at major cities. I wish Melbourne had something a bit more exiting than Luna Park!

CHEERS,
Space Roller Freak
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

No one will ever agree on the best city to live - horses for courses, but ANY major rides into this country are a good thing, especially ones made in Bremen.
benclare

Post by benclare »

This is a very exciting prospect but in my opinion it’ll never happen because it would be far too expensive in this current economic climate to transport the attractions from America, set them up somewhere on the Gold Coast and then attempt to make money and compete against the already established theme parks. I would definitely visit this new location as the Astroland rides are top notch but it would need something more spectacular than the cloned Cyclone roller coaster to bring in the crowds. Personally I do think a park of this nature would run better away from the GC, perhaps Brisbane itself. What might be better is if the Astroland rides were incorporated into LPM or LPS; unlikely but just an idea.
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

I think it would turn out to be another Lunapark..

I know these rides are alot better than the ones at LPS, LPM, but they are still portables. People will get sick of them very soon, just like people did with the Lunaparks. Only difference would be this park would have GOOD rides and a wooden coaster i guess..

Still, Sydney should get it. :evil:
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

hey guys ,

firstly can i say that GOLD COAST is not a hole as u so put it paulie u r only upset becuase there is more to do on the gold coast as far as attractions go then there is to do in Sydney alone.and when u look at the g.c. compared to sydney u think its at least 2 or 3 times the size of the g.c.
even when the theme parks are closed by day or on gazeted hollidays there is stil heaps to do on the g.c. u r ony jeallous of what the gold coast attracts. theres surf and theres pubs and rainforests just to name a few.
so y dont u stop paying out the g.c. and get ya facts straight.

2ndly it would be nice to have a theme park of a different style come into qld but imo the g.c. has enough so y not try the sunshine coast. or even melbourne, sydney is to hard to get around its always got hussel and bussel.

i would like to see a decent theme park come to australia from O.S. as coney is. as it has a fantastic reputation.
cheers katie
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

i am jealous. you try living in sydney with no themeparks. it sucks cow nipples.
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

hey guys,

yea paulie yea i can understand that.

keep ya chin hopefully u might get something good in sydney although i will not hold my breath
cheers katie