Disney On the Coast....

Information on possible new Theme Parks for Queensland
Matt87

Disney On the Coast....

Post by Matt87 »

Apprently Disney was wanting to build a disney land on the Gold Coast but backed out after the Gold Coast Council didnt want to Help out with Money! Because of the Gold Coast not wanting to give any money towards it, Disney pulled out and decided that Hong Kong Disney was more intrested! well if we were to say yes it would have been called Down Under Disney, but it went to Hong Kong. It would have been great! Im sure we will see a Disney Theme park at some point in Australia!
AbErCrOmBiE Matt
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

There have been heaps of rumors in the past about Disney coming to Australia. The latest one was that they purchased the land Magic Mountain used to be on and will rebuild a theme park.

One of truth is that Dolly Parton wanted to create a theme park on the Sunshine Coast, but the Gold Coast City Council did not back the project.

Although I would like to have a Disney park in Oz, I think I would prefer a Six Flags chain as they stick more to the "thrill rides".
Founder / Editor
Australian Amusement Fanatics
Matt87

Dolly Wood

Post by Matt87 »

Apprently Dolly Parton was wanting to build "Dollywood" out the back of Pacific Pines gaven way. I go to school out there and it was in the local news letter and at the real esate shop. Many Locals of that area didnt want it to happen because it is expanding area for housing. There fore it didnt go ahead.
AbErCrOmBiE Matt
Matt87

Dolly Wood

Post by Matt87 »

Apprently Dolly Parton was wanting to build "Dollywood" out the back of Pacific Pines gaven way. I go to school out there and it was in the local news letter and at the Real estate shop. Many Locals of that area didnt want it to happen because it is expanding area for housing. There fore it didnt go ahead.
AbErCrOmBiE Matt
summerda

Disney Down Under

Post by summerda »

When I moved to QLD i found out that when Disneyland was looking for sites, they seriously considered building in the centre of Bribie Island where the logging area is. I have heard this from quite a few locals and tend to think there is some authenticity to it. Has anyone else heard this?
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

I hear they are looking in Melbourne at the moment!
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

There has been rumours floating around for years about Disney coming to Oz. Quite honestly, the population in australia could not sustain a park such as Disney.

I have been in discussions with people before and they mentioned the only way for a new park to survive would be for it to be built on the gold coast. The combined marketing $$$$'s of the Warner Village theme parks, Dreamworld and the "new park", will be used in marketing campaigns to draw the international tourists. They say this is the only way for our theme parks to make $$$'s and be successful.

When you really think about it, it does make some sense.

If a new park was to start interstate, they would have to make it huge straight away in hope of drawing crowds away from the gold coast parks. This would be at a considerable cost.

I guess it has been proven that a park can not survive in Sydney with the closure of Sega World, Luna Park so many times and now Wonderland.

One would have to wonder if Melbourne's weather may impact the crowds for a theme park down south?? I am not being nasty here or anything, but am just curious.

What is everyone else's thoughts?
Founder / Editor
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

i want a photo with mickey!
lol thats how much I want Disney here :P
Zamperla
Administrator

Post by Zamperla »

A major park can and will inevitably be done somewhere other than the Goldcoast in the future. It is inevitable. It all comes down to good management and investment. Sega World was a very average venue, and can hardly be called a true themepark. It's focus was too narrow. (I can say this having been to it)

The culture in America is proof, then again that is a separate culture than ours (though becoming increasingly blurred). Yes America has a lot more public than we Aussie's, but I do believe it can be done if the right investment and marketing decisions are made and controlled. Melbourne is definitely viable, and I (as well as others) am under the opinion that Wonderland would've been able to survive on a reduced amount of land, with more optimal operating hours.

Demographically, Australia has an ageing population, but people are still having kids, and always will, and the average disposable income is actually increasing.
summerda

Wonderland

Post by summerda »

I think Wonderland would have survived for many more years. I loved that place as a kid, but the new attractions were few and far between. Shows alone cannot keep visitor numbers up. People get bored with these places very quickly if new attractions are not added. I feel that Wonderland management took the easy way out - as soon as someone dangled a nice multi million dollar cheque in their face they took it and ran. There are now no theme parks of that calibre left in Sydney and for a city of 4million it is such a shame, also considering that Sydney is the gateway to the rest of Australia as far as tourism is concerned. I guess I am just p**sed that Wonderland is closed, as I am sure with other people out there it holds an awful lot of happy memories.
I don't think another theme park for the Gold Coast is the answer - I think they should concentrate on making the existing ones better, especially Movie World. They have such a huge area to build on and they could so easily take Dreamworld on if they had the number of rides Dreamworld does, because let's face it, Movie World does have a much funner atmosphere than Movie World, with all there characters, buildings, shows, and parades.
Enough said for now, I am starting to ramble.
Cheers
Trav

Post by Trav »

Zamperla wrote:A major park can and will inevitably be done somewhere other than the Goldcoast in the future. It is inevitable. It all comes down to good management and investment. Sega World was a very average venue, and can hardly be called a true themepark. It's focus was too narrow. (I can say this having been to it)

The culture in America is proof, then again that is a separate culture than ours (though becoming increasingly blurred). Yes America has a lot more public than we Aussie's, but I do believe it can be done if the right investment and marketing decisions are made and controlled. Melbourne is definitely viable, and I (as well as others) am under the opinion that Wonderland would've been able to survive on a reduced amount of land, with more optimal operating hours.

Demographically, Australia has an ageing population, but people are still having kids, and always will, and the average disposable income is actually increasing.
Well said Dave. :D ... If Melbourne has a really nice Theme Park such as a Six Flags (just my preference), then we would be on the tourism Map. Imagaine if you came to Australia, and knew about a brand new exciting Six Flags Flemmington which has some amazing rides and attractions! If I were a tousist, I would not miss out on this.... also we would get a lot of Aussies from regional areas and interstate visiting on the school holiday periods... Even those tourist who always travel to DW or MW and SW would make an effort to see Melbourne and visit the new Six Flaggs.....

I sure hope this happens.. and it would really have to be something BIG to get the kids and parents alike in.. Melbourne has a very outdated Luna Park. Gold Coast has at least 3 major parks already, which can always be updated (such as the demolish of Thunderbolt, and inclusion of The Claw).

If a real theme park started up in Melbourne I would love to help out as much as possible in the marketing, design, PR or whatever else they would let me do. Melboure, I think we are in for a real suprise soooooon.... strap yourself in!

Oh BTW Mattie, no offence, but the global warming and shifting climate seem to be giving Melboure some nice weather.. All through September, October and November (remember the nice weather at the Melbourne Show this year back in Sept.?) we had a nice range of warm weather, less rain than usual. Summers seem to get really hot down here, and can last for weeks straight.. Only June/July do we really get any cold weather. Seeing as we had moderate temperatures, people would be likey to stay longer at the park, hot weather always just tires poeple out too much.... I like the climate here, it is nice to have warm weather, which a few showers following to cool everyone off... just thought to add my own opinion.
HUSSRAINBOW

Post by HUSSRAINBOW »

Id rather a
HUSS LAND OF THE GIANTS park
with a few originals in the park
(Rainbow, Pirate, Enterprise, Ranger, Breakdance)
LunaParkFanatic

Post by LunaParkFanatic »

:shock: ok i live in nsw on the Central Coast! and Old Sydney town closed down around april last yr. i think the land of Old Sydney Town would be GREAT for Disney Down Under..... Its outta the 2 mian cities (newcastle & Sydney) for any hasle of residents complients etc... also the land is around 2.5hecters i belive and i think that is a great amount of land for disney down under! Also its about 5mins from the F3 and right next door to thge reptile park so they could do great weekender packages 1day entry to Disney DownUnder and 1day entry to The Repile Park!
8)
I really think this could go well here on the coast! Just take a minute to think about it.... :D
WARNING: LunaParkFanatic Alert! :shock:
Slick

Post by Slick »

I think what they'll be waiting for is whether or not Dreamworld can successfully double their size and that a park of Disney stature can survive in an area like the Gold Coast.

That's it. Wow, that was an easy one.

Ben "sits back and enjoys the view" Roach.
Will

Post by Will »

Personally, its a stupid idea, as mat said, i would rather a six flags themepark, not disney! Get over it disney...sorry :x
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

Trav......nice weather in September? What drugs were you on boy? LOL. It was bloody cold for this Sunny Warm QLDer.

Id by happy with a Disney Park.....if it was like Disney California Adventure. Or a Universal Studious Islands of Adventure. However, I would love a Six Flags. Please please please please. I will be good.

What we need is a new major theme park to open up, so I can get employed to work at this park and live happily ever after.
Founder / Editor
Trav

Post by Trav »

^Mattie, the weather in Melbourne when you were here for the Show was really good for Sept. :D It was sunny, not a cloud in the sky, no cold breeze.. I forget the actual temperature for that one particular day, but I had not used any drugs. LOL trust me..
Mattie
Super Administrator

Post by Mattie »

Trav, I agree the weather was nice when we were at the Melbourne Show. However I was there for ten days and the other days were cold and some where wet and miserable.

Although I did have a good day with u and Dave. Perhaps we will need a reunion this year.
Founder / Editor
tom750

Post by tom750 »

forget a disney in Qld :x :mrgreen:

i reckon they should build in melbourne there is spare room just near lunar park they should build there :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen:
gibbo

Post by gibbo »

I don't think that any 'spare' room near Luna Park is either big enough or actually considered spare.

CG
Slick

Post by Slick »

You remember the late show on ABC?

Ye ol' pissweak world, now there's a park worth going to.

Ben "loves the shinto-scared act" Roach.

PS: those guys that did sh**-scared also did ads for Dreamworld under the same characters.
gibbo

Post by gibbo »

Slick wrote:PS: those guys that did sh**-scared also did ads for Dreamworld under the same characters.
When was that, it would have been a larf!

CG

P.S. See, now I'm doing bad grammerings.
katestow77

Post by katestow77 »

ok so i was reading this and heard that disney has still not given up 100% on this idea . so maybe sometime in the futer we will have disney down under .
um i live in brisbane and ive never heard of the six flags parks or the saying so can some1 plz tell me wat is ??????

thanks
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Taken From The Six Flags Website- www.sixflags.com

"Angus Wynne, founder of Six Flags, would be proud of the company's rise to preeminent standing in the family entertainment industry. A pioneer in the truest sense of the word, Mr. Wynne broke new ground when he opened the first Six Flags park, Six Flags Over Texas, in 1961.

Mr. Wynne studied other pioneers around him and applied his own vision and imagination to create a new form of family entertainment. He imagined regional parks large in scope but closer to where people lived, making them convenient and affordable.

A broad entertainment product, featuring innovative rides complemented by brilliant theme presentations, became his formula for success, and his ingenious use of themes turned the centuries-old amusement park idea into the broader theme park concept. Angus' vision, theming designed to enrich an entertainment experience, was right on target — and the regional theme park industry was born.

Throngs flocked to Six Flags Over Texas when the park opened in 1961. Six themed sections, modeled after the culture of the six countries whose flags flew over Texas during the state's colorful history, created a spectacular and magical setting for guests — and provided the park's name. The inventive theming afforded guests a chance to experience places and times that previously only existed in their imaginations, including cowboy culture, French and Spanish cultures, and even southern belles and pirates.

Today, Six Flags has dedicated itself to setting the standard for theme park entertainment. Our 21 theme, water and zoological parks across North America are better than ever, offering today's families a complete one-stop diversified entertainment destination, from industry-leading thrill rides to water attractions, themed areas, children's areas, parades, concerts and shows, restaurants, games and merchandise outlets. Our licensing agreement with DC Comics and Warner Bros. Consumer Products allows Six Flags the exclusive theme park rights to many of the world's greatest cartoon characters and super heroes, from Bugs Bunny and his Looney Tunes friends to DC Comics Super Heroes Batman, Robin, The Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and The Flash, enabling Six Flags to offer our guests a full character program, including character meet and greets, meals, photograph and autograph opportunities and new retail options.

Six Flags has rededicated itself to improving the entire in-park experience, from a cleaner, more comfortable and guest-friendly atmosphere to a broad spectrum of new entertainment options and the introduction of some of the country's best-known consumer brands in food and service.

As we move into the future, Six Flags looks forward to continuing to provide families and guests of all ages with the best and most diverse entertainment experience they can find close to home.

Six Flags, Inc. is largest regional theme park company in the world — a national brand with regional focus. Our 21 entertainment destinations in North America comprise theme, water and zoological parks. Last year, nearly 30 million guests spent a combined 250 million hours at Six Flags parks. Founded in 1961, we celebrated our 45th Anniversary in 2006. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: SIX) headquartered in New York City."