Christmas Carnivals 2008/2009

Public Forum
itsfun

Re: Christmas Carnivals 2008/2009

Post by itsfun »

not many people on this website would have an idea on the costs involved to move rides around the country.and propably not have a clue how to do it.There is a big difference between just turning up and riding rides compared to moving them around and keeping them going and looking good.....
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

lol. im not saying i know how to ship them. i just pay my money, ride then go homeee. :lol:
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

itsfun you know a few of us only look at this crap for a laugh.its all a bit of fun
princess

Post by princess »

Well stop posting then, if it is boring and bad, obviously it has something that keeps you reading.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh he does like to keep up with the talks on here lol. Especially to see what I write....
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Hey all, back from holidays, will put my reviews up of Bell's and Joyland's carnivals soon
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Got down to Joyland's Better Amusement Hire's Xmas carnival the other night which is located at Huskisson in Jervis Bay on the NSW south coast. Wasn't to busy there which was good so managed to get on every ride a few times. A bit of a disappointment with the Power Surge not turning up due to the ride having a few problems so that was left up at Joyland's yard. Was also nice to catch up with George Malonas and Bill.

Hurricane: Haven't seen the ride since Penrith and it was operating really well. Was looking nice and clean like it usually does but a few blown bulbs and tubes on the arms but that didn't take away from the rides performance. Had a few rides on it and one thing I noticed comparing it to other models is that the ride starts up very quickly from its stationary position. After about 20-30 seconds the arms start to bounce and then the trademark bursts of air are heard. The arms swooped closer than usual on this model than before from what I've noticed. There was a heap of bouncing too with a pretty good cycle. Always a favourite.

Round Up: The ride is looking great. Since the last I saw it which was last year at the Xmas Carnival, the padding for the cages have been placed back on (thank goodness) and the centre-piece has had the lights added. They have also replaced the bottom canvas which goes around the trailer. Overall the ride looks fantastic. Had a few goes on the ride and it was as fun as ever. Gaining speed then being stuck to the cage then soon after rising into the air to give more of a thrill. A great classic ride and always good fun to ride Joyland's Round Up.

Cha Cha: In a different position this year by being moved next to the Dodgem Track. Was looking good as always with all the chasing lights working. But the ride has gone down in terms of how it is operated. The ride starts up and for at least 3 mins, the ride runs at a slow-medium pace but then it all of a sudden reached full speed for about 5 seconds then the ride finished. But I did enjoy those 5 seconds where the ride reached a very fast speed.

Wild Chairs: Was looking good with all the bright colours and the pink lights up the tower part. Had a ride and was operating well. Was really smooth and a good long cycle.

Dodgem Cars: Was probably the most popular attraction at the canival as it always is at any event. The track is in good nic with the floor really smooth to drive along. The back banners look fantastic with lots of bright colours and all characters painted all of it. The cars were running really well with all of them operating. The cars were pretty fast too and a great long cycle.

Had a fun night. From what I've been told the Power Surge should be there next year which would be great. Anyway Bell's review coming up soon. Enjoy!

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Space Roller Freak

Post by Space Roller Freak »

Thanks for the pics Top Gunner. A big dissapointment about Power Surge, do you know what hapened with it top gunner? The cars on the dodgems look new?

CHEERS,
Space Roller Freak
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks SRF, yeh the dodgem cars are newer ones that were purchased in maybe 2007 (I'm not 100% sure).
Last edited by Top Gunner14 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Thanks for the pics Adam. Cant wait for Bells pic's. Bells carnival seems to be a bit more exciting.
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Nice pics Top Gunner. Just on the Hurricane, I like it when it spins for a good minute or so at full speed before bouncing... However, I'm not so sure if Princess likes that after Fishers Ghost :lol:

I do remember at Gold Coast show, I was on the Hurricane by myself just before we opened... and THREE minutes of non stop spinning before bouncing! I had to sit down after that one...
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Bell's carnival was great fun and always is every year I go down there. The night I went it was pretty busy so unfortunately I didn't get to ride most of the gear down there. All the rides were running and were all pretty popular. Was nice to see Elwin Snr again and Owen Bell.

No Limit: I'm not sure but I think the ride has gone pretty well over the period it has been there. When I was there you could basically walk on but every now and then there'd be a bit of a line-up for it. I dont think the tourists and locals liked the idea of having to pay the extra money to ride. But anyway the ride is looking as good as it always is with the sound system pumping out the tunes. Had a few rides on it and the cycles were pretty intense and getting the 3 minute cycle as always. Some pretty thrilling moments on the ride too with us sitting normally at the top then just falling backwards and going upside down through the loading area and then falling face first towards the ground and then being thrown back and forth.

Music Trip: Looking good as always and the paint-job looks awesomeon the ride. Was well lighten up at night aswell. The cycles were pretty long and were really fun. Had Owen Bell behind the control panel aswell but no interaction which I've never seen on a Miami before. But still had the tunes going and Bell's is always great fun with that loss of your stomach on the first rotation over the top. But I couldn't miss riding it because I only see it once a year.

Thunderbolt: Is always well presented everywhere it goes Bell's Thunderbolt. The artwork is always in good nic and so is most of the lighting. Only got to ride it once but not as much interaction with Choppy not operating it anymore. The operator only said a few things at the beginning of the cycle and something at the end. But the ride was operating very well and fast in both directions. Can't wait to ride it again at Sydney.

Ski Jump: I unfortunately didn't get to ride this classic. But was very popular with a pretty big queve for it. Was giving pretty good cycles and was going pretty quick too. Had all the retro fluro tubes on the centre-piece going and looked good.

Cha Cha: Rode the ride once and was looking spectacular and probably one of the best presented Scramblers in Australia. All the different colours on the ride look fantastic and every single light bulb was working. I had a ride and boy does this ride go fast. Picked up speed pretty quickly too from the stationary position and oy it flies. We had a good lengthy cycle on it too.

Wipeout: I missed out on riding this one too but was pretty popular. Looked good as always and nothing has really changed as far as presentation goes but still looks good. Had a fair few people riding and watching the kids spin the tubs as fast as they can is always funny. The bursts of air that came from the machine were very loud and probably louder than some of the Hurri's.

Para Trooper: Couldn't miss out on riding the classic trooper. The ride has had a bit of work done to it down at the carnival with the control booth being painted and a new coloured tarp added to the bottom of the ride. The ride was looking good and the rides were pretty lengthy and the ride runs very smoothly.

Swinger: Didn't ride this either but was popular with the younger ones and their parents. Looking good and pretty good cycles on the ride too.

Tornado: Another ride I missed out on riding. Nothing has changed with presentation but still looked good and seemed to be running really well. Had a fair few people riding as well.

Dodgem Cars: Missed out on this aswell unfortunately but the line for it was pretty long aswell. All the cars were running and they were going pretty quick too. Good long sessions on the ride aswell and the track seems to be in good nic too.

Had a good time but a bit of a shame I missed out on riding a few of the rides. Anyway enjoy!

Cheers
Top Gunner14
Paulie123

Post by Paulie123 »

Hey nice pics Topgun.

Love the backwall on the dodgems. Haha. No limit looks great. Love the pic how it looks like its going 100000km/h. Glad you had a good time down there. I dont understand what that Wipeout ride is. It looks like a trabent with teacup cars?