2008 Ride Deals

princess

Post by princess »

Hope our members have a fantastic time in Adelaide, as always we will look forward to you guys, giving us who cant be there our fix, with your reviews and photos. :lol: :lol: Do they still have Jam donuts, if they do go have one for me.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

i think they only place ive ever had a jam donut is the show -- im pretty sure they still have them so ill be sure to have one for you princess or FIVE! but maybe after I go on some rides.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Ah yes, I saw this ad on that website. Replacing the ex-veruth's model. Nicely presented model
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Geez, Rides are expensive over at Perth!

Most rides are between 8 - 10 dollars.

Chaos for example is 8 dollars there whereas at ekka it was only 6!
illusions

Post by illusions »

Well i thought it would have been more expensive considering its a fair drive for most showman its a big drive!!!
illusions
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

space roller and speed have arrived!
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Thanks for keeping us up-to date. Any photos please? Yes, that is expensive. But yes, the drive over and back will cost an arm and a leg for fuel
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Still... 8 Dollars for Chaos!? Anyone who pays that much is a fool...

"A fool and his money are easliy parted... it is my job to part the fool of his money"
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh, the most I'd pay for Chaos would probably be $7 and that's still crap
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

You'd have to pay ME to ride that thing :P
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Haha, maybe pushing it but still Lol :P
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

$8 is getting a bit rich!
TopGunner im gonna try and get some photos at the actual show this year --- but as for setting up by the time I go home at nite you can't see anything its so dark and i dont ahve time to stop in the morning on my way to uni (and the bus speeds past so taking a photo would be hard).
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

also noticed this morning that durkins have arrived half the gondols have gone up on the skymaster wheel and tonite on my way home it was all lit up!
princess

Post by princess »

I really like they way, everyone lights up their rides before the show, it looks quite and calm.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

what i'm guessing is insanity has arrived.
i'm wondering how do they pulicise what rides are new?? the website says the big dipper and the haunted hotel are the only new rides yet insanity and halloween have not been before either ---- i wouldn't have thought the owners whould have been to happy not getting a mention
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh I'm suprised. With Haunted Hotel now refurbished, only a few would know it's the old Haunted mansion. Insanity is a few years old now but it still hasn't been to that show. Thnaks anyway
Hurricane

Post by Hurricane »

Yeah... at least Insainty now works though :P We would NOT want another Twin Flip Episode happening.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yes, true
Force10

Post by Force10 »

Adelaide has the worst luck with ride incidents!
Spin Dragon... Twinflip... and as some ppl have commented on how they believe insanity is likely to come crashing to the ground... i do hope not though!

I think all the trouble Adelaide has is due to the fact, all the showmen that do Ekka, do Adelaide, + or - a few.. imagine after spending 10 long days at Ekka, then tearing it all down to do Adelaide (possibly with a few sneaky shows on the way through?) in less than a few weeks. Thats crazy if you ask me! Then getting all the way down there an having the pressure of needing to make money to pay for all the fuel it took + make a living... its easy to see how the need to just setup an run it, even if it might not be running quite right! They should space them out a little more... give the showies a bit of a breather! Give them time to do some thorough maintenance after such a big 10 day haul at ekka.
princess

Post by princess »

Force, all rides go through maintenance checks by engineers, before these big shows, Adelaide are actually the toughest with their Health and Safety, after Spin Dragon, they came down on rides like a ton of bricks, . A couple of years ago, we were even worrying that showmen would by-pass Adelaide, due to the issues, some as little as power outages, they would shut rides down, until further notice, so it was becoming a very difficult situation. there are people on this forum who could explain this a lot better than me, but whether they wish too is another thing.
Top Gunner14

Post by Top Gunner14 »

Yeh, Adelaide is the toughest with safety checks. There were even worries that there could be accidents on the way to and seting up Melbourne because of the tight turnaround for the shows each year.

Also found this picture on flickr of some of the rides getting setup. Has Mega Drop floding up, Claw setup, Skymaster wheel and our beloved Thunderbolt on it's truck. Love the signs and numberplate on Bell's truck too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rohanphill ... 0/sizes/o/
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

good on ya Rohan - I can't believe I actually knew who took that photo!
Force10

Post by Force10 »

yeh i understand what your saying princess, and i know that Adelaide would be tough ever since spin dragon and twin flip, but to have been checked over an given the all clear on august the 31st, to then have a serious incident on 1st sept makes me very skeptical on how thorough these safety checks really are, i know how sloppy some audits can get done.. and considering twin flip was pretty much brand new, it could have been easy for who ever inspected it to gloss over it and give it the all clear.??

Then again i guess accidents can just happen too.

Don't get me wrong I love the twin flip, its such an awesome ride, its just such ashame it doesn't do ekka anymore!

Anyway if someone does wanna tell me all about these checks or wants to tell me to stop being so cynical, hit me with a PM.
cheers, Force.
scorpionSA

Post by scorpionSA »

As I understand it (and I spoke to someone who actually works for WorkSafeSA - im not sure if they still do) is that all they really do is a paperwork check -- i.e. are maintenance reports in order etc
In reality the people that work there aren't really all that qualified to actually check if something is safe (i.e. you need specific engineering skills).

I've had a lot of problems with WorkSafe SA in my field of work recently and lets just say I haven't felt any safer after their meddling!
princess

Post by princess »

Dont PM, we would all like to hear this, if someone could enlighten, us more, that would be great. It would be foolhardy, in the climate today, not to have all the proper safety checks, I have said this numerous times, before, the consequences, for rider, operator and owner are just too great for this to be taken lightly.